Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I AM Queen Of Mayberry!

A few weeks ago when I stumbled upon the ladies quilting at the Moorhead Cultural Center, they told me I should plan to attend the Annual 2009 Loess Hills Hospitality Association Meeting in Moorhead. They thought it would be a great way for me to meet some new people and learn more about the Loess Hills and artists and such. The meeting was last night and Darrin is in MO on a dive job, so I had to go by myself.

I did NOT know that it was a family style sit down dinner/auction/power point presentation on Iowa tourism.

So there I was in all my Mayberry Glory, wishing I knew just one person I could sit next to. But since that wasn't going to happen, I at least parked myself at the table with the best decorations.



After staring at my program for about 20 minutes because I was too shy to talk to anyone, I offered to walk around and take candid pics for the Board of Directors, because if I am taking pictures of people I don't feel lonely and embarrassed. They loved that idea. Thank God I had thrown my camera in the truck 'just in case'.



So I walked around and did my thing.



And had a pretty good time believe it or not.



I learned that this adorable couple owns the Country Homestead, which is the ONLY B&B in our little town of Turin.



And also experienced my first auction!



And I'm pissed that I didn't bid on this small Barn Quilt replica.



I really should have...Barn Quilts are all the rage right now. I love them.



And as if last night's excitement didn't crown me Queen of Mayberry, wait until what comes next.....a meeting this morning with 2 lovely ladies in charge of the Moorhead Cultural Center.

Guess who the new Program Director for 2009 will be?
You got it, Yours Truly.
The pay = peanuts but the opportunities will be priceless. I will be involved in a photography/literary exhibit plus 2 other art shows and tons of other things to inspire me......

Yes, I am SO Mayberry right now I can almost see Opie Taylor skipping down my driveway clutching a basket of homemade cookies.....sporting a big ole' grin and just dying to congratulate me on my new Mayberry job.

I LOVE IT!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hoooeee!!! Way to go, Punkin! Oops, I should say, "Your Majesty". It sounds delightful, and I can't wait to see Mayberry and meet the residents!

PS - did the dogs come home?

Unknown said...

And I forgot my motherly concern: You DID pass out tons of business cards, right? Love you!!!

bigheadedbob said...

Congrats, Aunt Bea will bake you a cake. Do you know what your getting into? I was thinking, cooking lessons, family therapy, or Quilting. But I'm guessing they saw a smart, pretty woman, and if they didn't find her something to do, she would find their still.

Savannah Belle said...

WOW!! YOU GO GIRL!! I am proud of you! Mayberry doesn't know what is about to hit them. Once Mom L gets moved she will be right in the middle of it too. I know those people love having you and will welcome Mom L as well.

Unknown said...

Yay! You are IN!! Take em' by storm and shake it up a little!

Anonymous said...

These folks look so warm and welcoming. Look very Midwestern. I am so glad that you are getting with the in crowd.

I am looking forward to reading all about it!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Oh but the networking!

Love the photo's. I always like people and animal shots.

Claire MW said...

Oh maaaaaan, now when you come to visit me tomorrow, you're going to be all high on attitude and be like "I can't walk across that muddy farmyard, I'm the Queen of Mayberry, you must lay down a carpet for me." What have I gotten myself into?!

(just kidding, you rock!!)

Anonymous said...

BHB, umm you said something bout a still? What still? If Diane knows bout a still and hasn't mentioned it.....
Darrin

Unknown said...

Claire, maybe you could borrow Clover's tiara from Chickens in the Road? If you don't get that in time, make her a felted crown! Forget the carpet - lay down some of that fabulous fleece! Let her ride on one of your wonderful donkeys, led by Kelly and a pair of liveried llamas. Boy, wish I could be there!