Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Joy Of Boredom

I just came across an article that my My Aunt B sent me last March called "The joy of boredom".

"There is a strong argument that boredom -- so often parodied as a glassy-eyed drooling state of nothingness -- is an essential human emotion that underlies art, literature, philosophy, science, and even love."

"The most creative people are known to have the greatest toleration for long periods of uncertainty and boredom."

"We are most human when we feel dull. Lolling around in a state of restlessness is one of life's greatest luxuries ... It is in these times of reflection that people often discover something new, whether it is an epiphany about a relationship or a new theory about the way the universe works."

This is great news!
The dogs and I should have an epiphany coming any minute now.



We're still waiting....

9 comments:

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

mine do that, will keep displaying their teeth to each other and talking their language.

clp said...

OMG. that is an outstanding video. that made me laugh SO HARD. and ding may have been the star of the show.

Unknown said...

Banjo, aka ding, is the King! He just watches the underlings fool around. No chance for boredom there!
Interesting article. Does this mean that when I sit, drooling, at my computer, thinking of nothing, I'm actually being creative?

Love you!

Claire MW said...

Nope, they are not bored. They are mad at you for not letting them out to chase deer again.

Unknown said...

TWO WEEKS! TWO WEEKS!
Congratulations.

Jennifer said...

Cute video! Yes, the electric fence does keep our dogs in, but then again we have 7 strands too!

Lola said...

does boredom = laziness? cause if so, I'm a creative genius.

Claire MW said...

Two weeks and a DAY!!!

Rock on girl! You are an inspiration to many!

diane said...

yeah sarah- boredom = lazy genius.
i'm right there with you.
and thanks for the smoking cheers mom and claire!