Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Collards, Black Eyes, & Explosives

For the first day of 2009, I wanted to stay true to the southern tradition of eating collard greens and black eyed peas on New Year's Day... so I found this great recipe to try. For most of my life I've always managed to find a friend who has already prepared said southern meal so all I have to do is show up. This year that is not the case so tomorrow I am going to attempt to cook everything myself, which is pretty scary if you know my cooking. We went out earlier today for the ingredients and ummmm, apparently Iowa people don't eat collards- because just like grits they don't seem to exist in our grocery store! Seriously? So we drove 30 miles to another town that did not have collards either. OMG! I finally found one store that had them in a can and grabbed them along with all of the other ingredients.

I LOVE how the collard can says 'southern style'.
And I got me some black eyed peas too Mmmm Hmmmm.

Wish me luck tomorrow with this little project.

Right now it's time for us to go shoot some fireworks off our deck. We stocked up in Missouri on our road trip....





I know, you can take the redneck out of Georgia, but you can't take Georgia out of the redneck.






Happy New Year Y'all!

See you in 2009!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, my God - don't blow up your churlren!!! Have you stocked enough first aid supplies for doggie injuries this winter? Happy New Year, kids!!!
Love you!

Claire MW said...

Happy New Year! I couldn't see your fireworks from here, but from the looks of it, I should have been able to! I must have been looking in the wrong direction.

Good luck with the southern feast tomorrow - take pictures!